Friday 29 March 2019

Battle Bunnies Custodes fight, 3d printed Necromunda Lift, Ambots!

Have been loving the attention given to 30k at the weekender, and celebrated by playing my first game against a Custodes army with Darien from the Battle Bunnies. 

It did not go well...

We played 4k. and thankfully my opponent was gracious enough not to bring a sea of dangerous vehicles, just 50+ toughness 5 bodies and a couple of dreadnoughts...

Deployment wasn't ideal for thinning the horde as we played flat to flat side, so I really pushed my guys to the very back of the board, to get as much denuding fire as possible before they got into base to base.

I did try and theme the army to be a bit more 'killy' than normal. I added a Praevian with three Castellax, brought out my (unpainted) destroyers. Added all my Justaerin and Contemptors.


However, I love a horde army so went horde, three massive 15 man Tactical Squads, an assault squad with librarian, apothecaries and a tooled up Tartarus Terminator command squad.

It did not go well. The plan to keep them at arms length worked for around 2-3 turns of shooting, but with so many bodies, and not enough template S10 etc the whole game was just a delaying tactic till they reached the endzone.

The death star vs Death star fight was laughable, 4 Tartarus Termies did charge and didn’t last longer than a phase against Ixion Hale + Jenetia Krole and some Hetaeron guard. My Praetor did last a phase longer, but the follow-up attacks weren’t sufficient.

I was woefully under gunned in the AP2 stakes, in reality across 4000 points I had 8 ranged heavy weapons of any power.2 Darkfire cannons and 2 Multimeltas’ on the Castellax, 3 Combi-melta’s and a Multimelta on the Justaerin, and 2 Lascannons on the Land Raider.
For antipersonnel weight of fire, I did rely on Bolters and those did my fairly proud, managing to get a Fury of the Legions off at half range twice. 10 Volkite Culverins may wound on 2’s against Justaerin, but 3’s against Custodes just isn’t enough.
My misreading of the fleshbane Destroyer Rad missile meant I positioned them well, but only managed to reduce a SINGLE Custodes toughness…

All in all, there wasn’t enough of a dent made when they hit the front lines, and they hurt. Overall victory was closer than I’d thought, but still a win for Custodes.

Next time, I’d love to try some Mechanicum combat with these boys, and see how that goes instead. More AP2 and maybe some Veterans to try and even the score.
I did get to use the big terrain, which was fun.

Also this week, I assembled a couple of bits of Necromunda terrain, namely the Dildo-drill, and a third party 3d printed jobby.
This is something I’ve not seen in Necromunda much, a lift. Now everyone loves climbing, but GW are really missing out on not adding a tower, or something to deal with verticality. I love Clamber as a skill, but otherwise it takes an entire turn for a movement 5 ganger to get up any Sector Mechanicus without a ladder.



This should alleviate that. The idea will be to have this raised to standard height, as well as maxed to the full range so the distance can be much greater. Assembling this stuff was very easy, and glue took to it well.

Not so sure about paint but we'll see. One thing that was considered is that this was the same height as the rest of the terrain, which was a definite help. 

Can link where this was picked up if needed.

Also managed to assemble this beauty.

Such a lovely model and concept for 40k, this is a functional piece of the background. Its the closest to the Genestealer stuff that is drawing on ad-hoc forces that is a really cool concept.

Want a servitor/hivepeople army? Here you go? Want some crazed hordes? Here's a boxed set of civilians.

Will be looking forward to having him in-game. Need 8XP and he can have nerves of steel obviously :)

Thanks, Goliath to finish next.

No comments:

Post a Comment